Made the circles smaller to better read the distribution of users among buildings. Color should still be lighter (can we put an alpha channel of .01 ?). Next step would be to jitter the data by small amount to see accumulations.
... well how do you make a snapshot with those macs #! ok got it ... control-space grab, not screen capture !
Other things on my TODO list:
1. Improve the filtering ( allow user to filter on subject/author/content of the messages )
2 Enable sorting on the messages in the newsgroup view.
3. Make the frames and the panel resizable.
Based on this schema, it took me no time for me to reuse the code of ShoutSpace and build an interactive map-based visualitzation of the NNTP newsgroups (here the epfl.comp.mac newsgroup). The visualisation rely on the translation from an IP in the newsgroup message header towards a room identificator. From there, we use geographical data about the rooms coordinates to draw the maps.
This work is part of our projects on semantic and social visualization of textual data.
I had to sign the applet, because the Axis log cannot be disable (rather annoying) and eventually I will need to open sockets to various servers.
People at the Fribourg School of Engineering showed my their first implemantion of ShoutSpace on their campus. They are moving forward with some sort 3D indoor positioning system. Via Breeze and ShoutSpace, I could follow them walking around their CS building. We used Skype for oral communication.
And a 1 minutes .mov video (2.5MB).
- Start/Stop a CatchBob! Server
- Store into a .log file the game events (command and refresh)
- Play with virtual players
- Load games .log file and replay all the game events
- Forward, rewind, skip
- Base to simulate with agents and have "smart" virtual players
- Path length
Future directions could be:
- Visualize what every player experiences (view according to the player's refreshes)
- Global visualization with the movement done outside of the refreshes (using access points sniffed every 7 seconds on the iPaq)
- Easy access to data for statistics and maps generationof the refreshes, commands, triangles, wi-fi usage, % of the campus covered, number of areas each participant searched in, number of areas all the participant searched, overlap, backtracking
Previous mention to the CatchBob! Visualizer:
Real-time Visualization of a Location-Based Multi-Player Game
- Localizing people (figure 1)
- View/Post shout messages (figure 2)
Here's a sample code:
this.messageTab.Location = new System.Drawing.Point(4, 4);
this.messageTab.Size = new System.Drawing.Size(234, 244);
this.messageTab.Text = "Messages";
this.messageTab.KeyDown += new KeyEventHandler(messageTab_KeyDown);
private void messageTab_KeyDown(object sender, System.Windows.Forms.KeyEventArgs e)
protected override void OnKeyDown(System.Windows.Forms.KeyEventArgs e)
MessageBox.Show("Down Key Pressed");
MessageBox.Show("Up Key Pressed");
MessageBox.Show("Right Key Pressed");
MessageBox.Show("Left Key Pressed");
MessageBox.Show("Centre Key Pressed");